Sunday, April 8, 2007

Oh man.....

I can't believe I missed this!!!!!

These are my guys right here! That's Craig Finn, leader of THE HOLD STEADY fulfilling his dream of singing with the Boss man himself at the Bruce Springsteen Tribute at Carnegie Hall last Thursday. This was at the end of the show when everyone who had performed came out to sing "Rosalita." It seems like such a joyous moment, I'm sad I missed so many great young singers with someone they look up to.

Here was the Setlist:
01 "Nebraska" (Steve Earle)
02 "Streets Of Philadelphia" (The Bacon Brothers)
03 "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" (Elysian Fields)
04 "The River" (Josh Ritter"
05 "Because The Night" (Patti Smith)
06 "The Rising" (Marah)
07 "My City's In Ruins" (The Holmes Brothers w/ Young Peoples Chorus)
08 "Brilliant Disguise" (Robin Holcombe)
09 "Spirit In The Night" (North Mississippi All-Stars)
10 "New York Serenade" (Uri Cane)
11 "Cover Me" (Juliana Hatfield)
12 "One Step Up" (Low Stars)
13 "Thunder Road" (Badly Drawn Boy)
14 "Born In The U.S.A." (Joseph Arthur)
15 "Dancin' In The Dark" (Pete Yorn)
16 "Hungry Heart" (Jesse Malin & Ronnie Spector)
17 "I'm Going Down" (M. Ward)
18. "57 Channels" (Odetta)
19 "Atlantic City" (The Hold Steady)
20 "The Promised Land" (The Boss)
21 "Rosalita" (The Boss)
22 "Rosalita" (Bruce Springsteen And The Finn Street Band)

I am dying to hear/see the Hold Steady's version of "Atlantic City" and Joseph Arthur's "Born in the USA"--really the whole thing. I'm not sure if they are going to be putting an album out, but I hope somebody posts some of these!

Quick Hold Steady aside: Paste put the them on the cover this month--good call guys. I like that mag, it has pretty pictures and you usually get a CD when you buy the print version so that's a bonus.


Here's the new video for Stuck Between Stations, one of the finest tracks off Boys and Girls in America. STUCK BETWEEN STATIONS - The Hold Steady


Pete Yorn also played his beautiful version of "Dancing in the Dark" which I kind sorta like better than the original (sorry dad).


Joseph Arthur, "Born in the U.S.A."

My dad said this was particularly excellent.

Odetta with her funny, half-spoken, half-sung version of "57 Channels:"


I'm desperately hoping some better YouTube videos and audio's of this come out, but until then, Stereogum has a list of vids here.

All these pics are from Fresh Bread who was there.

There's also a great NYT write-up here.

I would sigh and say, I'll be there next time, but this seemed like a once in a lifetime kinda deal. No matter, I've had plenty of my own share of amazing Bruce experiences, like these 2 songs here:
Valentines Day
Real World

On that note, Happy Easter and goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pics :) it was great.